Re-doing Morphic ( Was: Re: Traits prototype image )

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Feb 11 12:47:20 UTC 2003

Hi

I can tell you that the harvesting process is ***Really*** difficult. I
tried to help
and without tests this is extremely difficult to evaluate if you are
not breaking something
in the system. So if you want to help the harvesters provides test for
your functionality (but
even with tests for your functionality) this is difficult because we do
not have a test suite
for everything.

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 10:38 AM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
wrote:

> Anyway - I hope I haven't spurred the flames here too much. Let's get
> focused on creative ideas. Ned's idea of building a parallell clean and
> lean Morphic is very good. I have had a similar idea earlier about
> doing
> the same for the Collection hierarchy but it didn't take off.

Just a remark, nathanael did a complete refactoring of the Collection
hierarchy based on
traits and he showed that we can 12% in size and a better design.
We are convinced that traits could help to really refactor Morphic too.
So may be this would
be a good way to show the value of traits.

We will certainly redo a clean room implementation of the traits model
but this is not our top priority for the moment. Now if you want to be
able to load traits as a CS contact nathanael
he is looking for help.

Stef

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/