Mythical small kernel images?

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Tue Feb 11 18:23:31 UTC 2003

Hi all,

> I had got as far as building new classes within a sub-environment but
> the tools were starting to get in the way. Lots of Browser and compiler
> related code explicitly works with 'Smalltalk' rather than 'self class
> environment' or whatever. In fact the compiler bug I reported a week or
> so ago arose when I tried to work around a few of those problems by
> using the SmalltalkEnvironment>reorganiseSystem code. What did you do ?

I have an Image model and it can fileIn code...

Simple steps:
1[creation].- anImage is created (with #new)
2[bigBang].- main root classes are created
    2.1.- ProtoObject[*], Object, UndefinedObject and nil
     are created using special messages (ClassBuilder refuse
     to build classes like them :-( )
    2.2.- a class hierarchy is built for minimum classes the SqueakVM
requires.
     Only classes are created (no methods) mantaining original shape.
3[growing].- a FileIn of remaining classes and methods
     is performed (here you can alter hierarchy and exchange
     frameworks completelly, e.g. double-dispatching for numbers, ...
    also you can reshape basic classes and change implementation)

[*] Note that in a child image the ProtoObject class inherits from
 a normal class in Squeak (e.g. Object); then you can send it
 messages during image trace. The tracer must be configured
 to dump "nil" instead of the superclass of ProtoObject and
 and mutate all Squeak objects encountered during tracing
 to embedded classes (liek Array, CompiledMethod,String,
 Symbol...).

> My hope was to (ab)use the Environment work to build a sub-environment
> into which I could write the class tree I really wanted and then (as you
> did) Trace it out.

Exactly, I am doing that.
Also we can test the image, browse and rebuild it with changes...

regards,
Ale.