[OT] MRAM, spintronics, the future

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 11 20:49:16 UTC 2003

Göran Hultgren <goran.hultgren at bluefish.se> appears to have written:

> Nope, that is the beauty. These babies don't require voltage to "remember".
> And access times are around 1 ns (read in the swedish article) so MRAM can
> replace both primary, secondary *and* cache memory for CPUs.
Exactly; once available they should make it possible to have 1-2GHz cpus
which need no caches (simplifying things enormously and making them even
cheaper) and can run at full speed pretty much all the time. I guess
one might even think of abandoning large register files, since the main
memory would be as fast. Context switching would be hugely faster (even
ARMs take a hundred or more cycles to respond to interrupts and Sparcs
take a couple of weeks) which might enable all sorts of interesting
programming tricks.

Now if only they can work out how to include a cpu on the same chip as
a gig or so of MRAM we can getto some interesting machines...

tim
--
|Though a nation watched her falling, yet a world could only cry |