A Question about Croquet's Philosophy on Multi-user 3D Environments...

Darius squeakuser at inglang.com
Wed Feb 12 01:17:03 UTC 2003

Croqueteers,

My original terse question was too vague. Here is the reasoning behind my
question:

Since "Croquet is a computer software architecture built from the ground up
with a focus on deep collaboration between teams of users." I had imagined
virtual auditorium type demonstrations & collaborations (for time/presence
sensitive events) in addition to the common virtual small group/classroom
interactions. It seems to me appropriate to consider both in the design phase.

In auditorium settings you do not want your view blocked, nor to be located so
far away from the activity so that it cannot be seen, nor do you want
positioning or sound interference. Should we provide presence and viewing w/o
avatar representation for packing everyone in together? Do we need a mechanism
of identifying instances of such a presence for targeting chat dialog? Should
we always split up time/presence sensitive events into multiple worlds? Should
we assign and time sequence interactions in the same manner that the US
Congress or other parliaments do?

I don’t have any easy answers, but I suspect future Croqueteers will ask these
same questions.

> At some point capacity gets exceeded

That’s a hardware, OS issue ;)

> The first practical limit in Croquet is in the number of polygons
Since Croquet is 3D hardware accelerated, I suspect in a crowed auditorium most
polygons would be clipped already by the 3D models crowing closest to you.

> This email list is for parents, teachers and children who are
> concerned with the "etoys" part of Squeak. Croquet stuff can and
> should be discussed both on its own list and on the squeak.org list.

I sincerely apologize. I knew that but forgot at the time I sent my message. (I
just mentally connect both "Croquet" & "Squeakland" with Viewpoints Research
Institute.)

Cheers,
Darius