[DOCS] Re: Documentation [was: Morphic tutorial]

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Thu Feb 13 09:24:04 UTC 2003

Hi Stephane

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> May be I should insist and say again that all effort of documentation
> (code based) out of the image are doomed and that Unit tests are the
> only way to go.

Definitly no!

See Ralph Johnson's thoughts on documentation
of June 1999 http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/736

We need for example a good explanation about MorphicEvent handling
as outlined by Andreas Raab in another thread.

Having a tutorial about using ProtoMorph for learning about Smalltalk
reflection and learning about the Morph hierarchy is helpful as well.

> Not sexy fancy supercool but the only way to get concrete scenario
> of the system
> in a reproduceable way and in sync with the system because even example
> methods got obsolete.

I agree that we need more unit tests as they provide an automatic
mechanism
to find out about inconsistences!

Regards
Hannes