End-user accessing Squeak "program" from a VT220 terminal?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Feb 14 17:07:44 UTC 2003

On Friday 14 February 2003 08:58 am, Stephen Pair wrote:
> As for implementing the VT220 server, I'm thinking you'd only need
> to implement a telnet server and spit out VT220 encoded output
> right?  A telnet server should be really easy to implement.

Yes, but minimizing the amount of serial data that you have to
transmit is the hard part (you'd end up re-doing curses).

Otherwise, every time the screen changes you'd have to send a bunch of
position and character commands, and miss the capabilities of the
terminal like "erase to end of line", "insert characters", "delete
line", and "insert line".

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com