[Complete Newbie Response] Re: End-user accessingSqueak"program" from a VT220 terminal?

cg at cdegroot.com cg at cdegroot.com
Sat Feb 15 09:11:39 UTC 2003

Nevin Pratt <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>Q: On a Unix box, what is the name of the daemon that handles the
>terminals?  Isn't that the 'getty' daemon?  I'll assume it is as I write...

It is.

>They disable their telnet server, and let Squeak create a normal TCP/IP
>connection to port 23 using Commanche to listen to port 23 instead of
>port 80.
You can telnet to any port. Try 'telnet www.yahoo.com 80'. So there is
no need to sit on a low port (and have to run Squeak as root).

I would probably write a 'squeaksh' front-end in C. It could use the GNU
readline library in order to give a comfortable command-line environment
(with history, tab completion, etcetera). The 'squeaksh' front-end would
connect to Squeak, either with HTTP (make every entered command a HTTP
PUT) or XML-RPC.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo