End-user accessing Squeak "program" from a VT220 terminal?

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Sun Feb 16 16:06:32 UTC 2003

Hi Nevin!

Just a few things:

1. It is very easy to write a Socket server in Squeak. Chris posted code
etc but you can quite easily whip up one from scratch or by picking the
heart from Comanche. Very little code. I have already done this in
another project - if you want help I can give it to you. And btw -
Comanche is very stable.

2. Comanche essentially listens on a port and forks off every incoming
connection in a Process of its own. If you then for some reason will
want to do inter-Process (Smalltalk Process that is) communication using
character streams then I urge you to look at:
http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/packagebyname/sharedstreams

For example, if you want to act as a relay then these stream classes
should come in handy, because you would typically build the relay using
multiple Processes.

Using these 2 classes we built a Socket-multiplexer-demultiplexer which
can "interlace" several character-stream-protocols on one single Socket
by chopping up the different protocols in "packets" and then knit them
together again etc. As you can imagine there where a few Processes
involved talking to each other! :-)

regards, Göran