Documentation [was: Morphic tutorial]

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Feb 16 23:34:03 UTC 2003

Richard,

> In my view, suggesting that >I< (ignorant as I remain about
> practically everything in Squeak that wasn't in LaLonde)
> should produce documentation counts as "suggesting that
> the ignorant should be the instructors".

If you call it "naive" instead of "ignorant" I would agree. And I would say
that the naive can be a very good instructor as far as "naive user issues"
are involved. Or, put differently: Some of the best user-documentation has
been written by people taking a very naive point of view. Don't take
anything for granted, explain anything that seems obscure from a naive POV.
Developers can't do it - for them it's all obvious. What they *can* do is to
provide explanation for how and why things work the way they do - but this
doesn't necessarily translate into good user documentation. So that I would
claim that a naive, yet good technical writer kind of person could create a
*lot* of useful documentation for Squeak.

Cheers,
  - Andreas