[DOCS] Licenses, documentation, XML serialization (was Re: port of prevayler)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Mon Feb 17 16:14:17 UTC 2003

Hallo Marco

Marco Paga <mail at marco-paga.de> wrote:
> Question: The Squeak license is that everybody can use the code but only
> changes in the base image of squeak should be made public. Right? :-\
> But I want people who extend my code to give their enhancement back to
> the community. I write code for the community and won't see any money
> for that. So i want other people doing it the same way if they profit of
> my work.
> This license reflects most my thoughts about what open source is. Source
> must be always opened for everybody who wants to extend his horizon :-) .
>
> btw: There is a big difference between real goods and soource code. I
> write something that helps me and after that I can copy this source to
> everybody all around the world without loosing something. If somebody
> uses my work as a base for further work s/he can do the same. Is it too
> much??

I understand your feelings. But from a practical side we can't do much
about it.

As the code you are going to write will probably only about 100 lines or
so I suppose
I wouldn't make to much fuss about these licensing issues.

Why not release two version
- prevalyer-SqueakL that comes under Squeak-L and MIT
- prevaler-GPL

Even more important than the actual code is a tutorial / documentation
of the prevayler ideas applied to Squeak. You can put this tutorial
under
the GNU Free Documentation License
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3AText_of_the_GNU_Free_Documenta
tion_License

It would be extremly nice to have both options for the log file for
example
- do-its like Goran is using at the moment for SqueakMap and
- SIXX (XML serialization) implemented by "Masashi Umezawa"
<umejava at mars.dti.ne.jp> (on SqueakMap)

Cheers
Hannes