[DOCS] Licenses, documentation, XML serialization (was Re: port of prevayler)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Feb 17 16:37:52 UTC 2003

Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Why not release two version
> - prevalyer-SqueakL that comes under Squeak-L and MIT
> - prevaler-GPL

I don't want to sound like a bitchy parrot but there is no point in
releasing the same program under Squeak-L/MIT *and* GPL.

AFAIK nobody has written a license similar to GPL that technically works
for Squeak software. Not an impossible task of course - but it generally
takes lawyers and money to get these things right.

But hey, you are free to do whatever you like - I am just trying to
help. The end result is just that you are risking people will not use
Prevayler because of possible license problems. And as non-SqueakL it
would never enter "Squeak base".

On the other hand, the use of the license is 99.9% to inform the user of
the intentions of the author. I mean, how often do these things end up
in court? ;-) So you could probably get the same effect by using MIT and
then simply asking people to share their improvements. :-)

Yep, freaky indeed - but I think perhaps more would comply with that
instead of banging the GPL on their foreheads...

regards, Göran