Licenses question (was: Re: port of prevayler)

cg at cdegroot.com cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Feb 17 20:36:12 UTC 2003

 <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>>From section 2 b of GPL:
>This is what is commonly referred to the "viral" property of GPL. So if
>I include code under GPL in my program then I am not free to choose my
>own license anymore for my program.

Indeed. One bit of GPL code in your image, and your whole image must be
redistributed under the GPL - which is clearly impossible given the
conditions of the SqueakL.

>Sidenote: The "at no charge" above got me confused - has GPL always had
>this clause? I am having a hard time understanding that clause since I
>was under the impression that I can carge whatever I like for software
>under GPL - as long as I include the source.

You can charge whatever you like, but not for the software license. At
least, that's what I recall.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo