[DOCS] Licenses, documentation, XML serialization (was Re: port of prevayler)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 18 13:41:15 UTC 2003

Marco Paga <mail at marco-paga.de> wrote:
> >The line with "Compiler yadda yadda" evaluates a String read from the
> >file containing arbitrary Smalltalk code. That is what is commonly
> >referred to as a "do-it" (since that is the name of the menu choice in
> >the right-click menu of most textareas by which you can evaluate the
> >text selected with the mouse).
> >

> I see what you mean. This seems to be interesting. If it is for
> production??
Yes, it is productive in SqueakMap.

If I would use this format I would always think that the
> program is just a short hack for my problem.

Why so. Think of Smaltalk code as executable data.

I would like to see both implemented do-it-format *and* SIXX.

Go first for whatever is easier for you.

Probably SIXX is  easier to use. I do not think that it is slow.
(It depends on your "business objects"; if they do not happen to
be pictures or sounds.)

See also class ReferenceStream (there is something as well on the minnow
swiki).

Hannes