Two important issues...

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue Feb 18 13:58:46 UTC 2003

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
>>On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> And exactly how a license can be revoced (correct word?) depend on the
> license I think, they aren't always "forever".

To my understanding a license cannot be revoked. It is forever for the
source that it was distributed with.

However, the author can issue the next distribution of code with a new
license therefor changing the course of that code.

This means that one can take GPL code that one is the copyright owner of
and produce future versions which are totally proprietary. But all code
released up to that point under the GPL will remain under the GPL and
someone else can pick it up and run with it. Then you would have
competing products one which forked off of the original.

IANAL nor do I play one on TV and other apropo disclaimers here. :)

Jimmie Houchin