Licences Question : Squeak-L Art 6.

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Feb 18 18:06:53 UTC 2003

Well, I haven't really wanted to pursue it ... though, I think much
more is known about how to do licenses than we did in '96.

We mainly wanted Squeak to be
  - totally open source and available
  - used in any reasonable way by all kinds of users
  - "strongly encourage" all users to put improvements back into open
source (a la the process of Science).

and we were sure that we didn't want Squeak-L to be remotely like GPL.

We had a month to do it at Apple with a friendly lawyer and a willing
boss. I think it's worked out OK *and* that we could now do a better
job of writing a license.

OTOH, there's a reasonably true adage about letting sleeping dogs lie ....

Cheers,

Alan

------