Squeak on Compaq TC1000 tablet

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Feb 19 01:33:12 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Nevin Pratt wrote:

> >I know I'm the goofball here, but I would love something a bit smaller
> >than the 10.4" tablet.  I'd like something at 8" perhaps, 800x600, with an
> >option for VGA-out.  Heck, I'd be fine with a 640x480 6" screen myself...
>
> If it's 8", I want 1024x768
> If it's 6", I want 800x600
> If it's only 640x480, I want a PocketPC form factor.

Why do we get outselves into these discussons? :P  It comes down to
what each of us want personally.  But yet, I shall reply.

If I wanted a PocketPC sized device, I'd have one.  But no matter the
resolution, the 3" screens on a PPC is mostly worthless to me.  I use a
small computer for many things, including taking notes.  I like to be able
to use a stylus to interact with the computer, and having a 3" screen-
regardless if the res is 320x240 or 640x480- is just to small to make it
practical.  Heck, the way I write using CalliGrapher, there are a lot of
words that take up the entire width of the screen when the screen is in
the portrait orientation.  If I was just going to use a PPC as a calendar
and contact list, a 3" screen wouldn't be a big deal.

...to each her own!

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "the end of the human race will be that it will eventually
      die of civilization. "                          :: r. w. emerson