Two important issues...

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Wed Feb 19 11:58:45 UTC 2003

At least one district court has held that bit-map fonts are not
protected under the Copyright Act.  This case has been widely cited,
but there hasn't been litigation since then directly on point, so far
as i know.  It is probably correctly decided.

However, there may be licensing issues -- as a recent Federal Circuit
court has held that a license may be used to create protections beyond
the scope of the Copyright Act.  Thus, how you got hold of the bit-map
fonts may impact their protectabilitiy.