[DOCS][ANN] "State machines in Squeak" added to Swiki

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Thu Feb 20 08:16:32 UTC 2003

Hello Stephane

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> On the wiki http://scgwiki.iam.unibe.ch:8080/SmalltalkWiki/18
>
> there are the drafts of the Smalltalk companion book.
> Guys you should look at the books we have ;)
>
> Stef

Yes, there is  information on patterns, thank you!
Could somebody of the documentation team please look into this and set
links to this draft from
our bibliography page and possibly other pages?

There is  as well 'The Design Patterns Smalltalk Companion' book by
Sherman R. Alpert, Kyle Brown and Bobby Woolf, Addison-Wesley 1998.

I am aware of the fact that the topic of how to implement state machines
was treated in
the 20 ..30 books which have been written in the last 23 years on
Smalltalk.

However my intent with my question on state machine implementations
*within* Squeak was to have something more focused. I like  to see
people wanting to implement a state machine getting rapidly up to speed
as they have "living code" they can look at rather than having to look
at a book which possibly even is for another dialect and does not
include an up to date working example. And as the answers by the list
members showed there is of course already a nice collection of cases
within the  existing code base. The only thing which was missing were
properly attributed pointers to these "real world code parts".  I like
to use the "documentation leverage effect" produced by this.

I really think the contributions by the community (including about three
examples written extra for the illustration of this question) in just 24
hours are exciting. I like to thank you all who have contributed to this
valuable experience.

Brent Vukmer (bkv) from the documentation team harvested the answers and
made an FAQ entry
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3023

I think it will be very useful for many of us. Marcus Denker is working
on providing a download link for a zip file with the content of the
minnow swiki. Then people can just browse trough it even offline using
Scamper within Squeak (a much faster browsing experience). Selecting the
name of a class mentioned and ALT-B directly brings up the browser for
that class. I like this is a tight integration a book or a pdf file
never provides. If the have all this e-media possibilites - why not use
them? Especially as the tools needed are already at hand.

Regards
Hannes