OS level Trash Can

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Feb 20 19:13:23 UTC 2003

Nevin Pratt wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>> Is there a way to place files into the OS Trash/RecycleBin?
>
> Hmm, isn't the trash bin just another directory on the filesystem?
>
>> Has such a feature been thought of?
>
> Move to, say, "/.trash" (or whatever the name of the trash directory
> is)?  Sounds simple enough.
>
> Nevin

I believe that is the way they are implemented in *nix.
However I don't know if that is true for Windows or Mac.

As I browse/search my WinXP PC I can't find a Recycle Bin directory. If
it is merely a directory that is browsable/searchable via other means
that the Recycle Bin icon, I don't know where it is or what it is
called. I did a search for files/folders with 'recycle'. No such beast. :(

Maybe it is still as simple, but requires some platform specific knowledge.

Jimmie