Squeak Stewards (Was: RE: [Squeakfoundation]Re: Taking control of parts of Squeak )

Roel Wuyts roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Feb 21 18:14:05 UTC 2003

On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 05:57 PM, Brent Vukmer wrote:

> A quick note:
>
> First, thank you to the Traits group for considering whether they
> might take on the responsibility of managing part of Squeak.  I read
> your email as an offer of service and "taking control" as meaning
> "take responsibility for/manage".

Yes, that expresses it exactly. I was looking for a good term, and this
is it.

> I hope that you do take on this role for this part of Squeak.  Create
> a path for other folks to follow!
>
> We already have some folks in the community serving us as Guides --
> that's been pretty well discussed and seems to be shaping up well.
> However as Goran and others have been saying, we *need*
> maintainers/owners/managers for the various packages in Squeak.  I
> think that the (slightly-archaic) term "Steward" describes this role
> well.  A Steward doesn't necessarily *own* a package but does have
> *responsibility* for reviewing/including/releasing updates to a
> package.
> This is a critical role.
>
> I am sure that for packages that are part of the Squeak kernel, that
> Stewards will work with the Guides, the Harvesting team, and the rest
> of the community.

Exactly. To put it in another way: I'd impose something like a Caesar
in the old Roman republic. A ceasar was a dictator who was only that
for a limited amount of time, and appointed by the senate (the
community). While he (yes, sorry, this is not a sexists remark - he
could only be male... :-(  ) had power, the power was absolute.

This is kinda what we are thinking of, except that here the process
would be more open. When patches are not accepted for some reason, I
expect discussion about this on the mailing list and reactions from the
community. So it would be a democratic temporary dictatorship, if you
will.

Roel Wuyts                                                   Software
Composition Group
roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch                       University of Bern,
Switzerland
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/