Squeak Stewards (Was: RE: [Squeakfoundation]Re: Taking control of parts of Squeak )

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Fri Feb 21 18:34:41 UTC 2003

Roel Wuyts <roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 05:57 PM, Brent Vukmer wrote:
> > think that the (slightly-archaic) term "Steward" describes this role
> > well.  A Steward doesn't necessarily *own* a package but does have
> > *responsibility* for reviewing/including/releasing updates to a
> > package.
> > This is a critical role.

I like the term 'Steward'. The Perl people have a somewhat peculiar
title
named 'Pumpkin'.

> Exactly. To put it in another way: I'd impose something like a Caesar
> in the old Roman republic. A ceasar was a dictator who was only that
> for a limited amount of time, and appointed by the senate (the
> community).
Well  this is the wrong comparison. You probably mean a consul.

>From http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consul
"Consul was the highest elected office of the Roman Republic, which
became an appointive office under the Empire. Under the Republic the
minimum age of election to consul for patricians was 40 years of age,
for plebeians 42. Two consuls were elected each year, they served
together with veto power over each other's actions, and the year of
their service was known by their names. For instance, the year we
commonly call 59 BC was called by the Romans "the year of Caesar and
Bibulus," since the two colleagues in the consulship were Julius Caesar
and Marcus Calpurnius Bibulus.

"Consules" in Latin means "those who walk together".

The dictatorship of the later Caesars turned out very badly in fact.

The consules were elected; there were too of them and it was only for
one year.

While he (yes, sorry, this is not a sexists remark - he
> could only be male... :-(  ) had power, the power was absolute.

-- Hannes Hirzel