A declarative model of Smalltalk (was Re: [DOCS] SUnit tests)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sat Feb 22 11:21:34 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 10:05, Jeff Read wrote:
> I have heard sillier things, however: in the recent DDJ I read that
> all the widely used programming languages in the future will be XML
> variants that programmers manipulate using GUI WYSIWYG XML editors.

Well, the Flare programming language makes a good argument. The crux is
the 'X' in XML - as usual, one of the most powerful bits and therefore
the least understood and used :-).

Flare is a language that aims to bring programming up to the level
required for developing AI (http://www.singinst.org,
http://www.flare.org). The top-level representation is a GUI, with XML
representation being the 'innards'. The funny bit is, of course, that
you can extend the XML representation with structured comments, pictures
of the authors, notes, full discussion threads, etcetera; to all tools
you are going to develop (repositories, ...), it's all just XML so the
whole bunch is automatically carried over to wherever the source goes.

In a way, it's the 21st century approach to literate programming. I
think it is an interesting direction.