Adding Accufonts to the update stream (was Re: Licences Question : Squeak-L Art 6.)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Feb 24 05:53:29 UTC 2003

On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 11:15 AM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> I think replacing the fonts is one of the easy things we can do to make
> things simpler, Easy, mostly, because people have already done this
> work
> (as John described), and it's on SM, pretty much ready to go.

I generally agree with Dan here... removing the Apple fonts is the
right thing to do, and it will let us proceed with improving Squeak-L
if we decide to do that.  I could add the Accufonts install to the
3.5alpha update stream soon if there are no major objections.

However, to be safe, we should clear up a few issues before proceeding:

   - The Accufont license is a separate license from Squeak-L, so we
would be adding stuff to the base image which doesn't have the Squeak-L
license, which we haven't done in the past.  So, the Squeak base image
downloads, for example, would need to include pointers to both
licenses.  On the plus side, the Accufont license is very simple and
unrestrictive.  Also, I don't think it's uncommon for open-source/free
products (which include fonts) to include separate licenses for the
included fonts.  So basically, I don't think this is a big problem...
just something to be aware of.

   - Since the license specifies that acknowledgement is supposed to be
included, presumably somewhere in the base image, I would propose
adding the acknowledgement to the StrikeFont class comment.  Or is the
fact that the acknowledgement is already "embedded in an unused glyph"
sufficient? (if I interpreted that correctly?)

   - As Ned mentioned, we should set the text default font size to
Accuny10, not 9, so it's roughly equivalent to what we have now in the
image.  (I notice the window titlebar default font is different,
although I don't mind the new one.  But we could also switch that back
if needed.)

   - The "replace" option in the Accufont install gets rid of the Apple
"NewYork" fonts, but it also removes the Comic fonts, which were not
from Apple.  (They were borrowed from a different source. :-)  However,
bitmaps are probably unprotectible anyway so we probably don't ever
need to reveal where they were borrowed from.)  So, as far as the
Squeak-L license is concerned, we probably don't *really* need to get
rid of the Comic fonts, since they're not Apple fonts and thus aren't
relevant to Squeak-L.  However, I don't really mind getting rid of
them, either, to be safe.  Just note that if we remove them, the look
of the tiles and flap tabs changes a bit.

   - The Accufont package includes a sans-serif font (Accujen) which
looks a lot like Helvetica to me, so perhaps this addresses the issue
that Cees mentions.  The "Helvetica bitmaps" are an alternative, but
they similarly come with their own (unrestrictive) license, and so we'd
still have an extra license to deal with either way.  Another minor
plus for the Accufonts is that they already have the back-arrow mapped
for Squeak.

- Doug Way

p.s. Here is the text of the Accufont license, for reference:

"Copyright Arts Management Systems, Ltd."

© Arts Management Systems Ltd.

The fonts distributed as part of this base image are derived from fonts
copyright Arts Management Systems, Ltd. Use of the fonts in derivative
software products is allowed.

The fonts should retain their AccuFont names.

The acknowledgement should read: