meta-programming

Marco Paga mail at marco-paga.de
Mon Feb 24 12:38:36 UTC 2003

Hi everybody.
I've got just one question. What does the word meta-programming mean. I
read the croquet manual to which is an article of Alan Kay added (
Title:  "Is "Software Engineering" an Oxymoron?").
He writes : " [...] we need a system whose features are "mostly meta".
[...] Part of the real problem of today's software is that most
programmers have learned to program only a little, at the surface level,
and usually in an early bound system. [...]".
I roamed around the web but the question still remains in my head: "What
is it"?

Thank you

Marco