Adding Accufonts to the update stream (was Re: LicencesQuestion : Squeak-L Art 6.)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Feb 24 13:50:25 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 14:26, Ian Piumarta wrote:
> Latin-1 isn't ASCII (even though the first 128 characters correspond 1-1
> with ASCII).

I know. I also know that we have active Spanish, German and French
speaking groups. All their texts will be converted to mumbo-jumbo if we
replace the MacRoman font mapping with Latin-9 (wenn schon, dann schon -
Latin-9 is the upgrade of Latin-1).

> If we adopt Latin-1 fonts within the image then the only remaining
> question is whether the "internal" interpretation of glyphs above 127
> corresponds to MacRoman (as it does now) or whether it too moves to
> Latin-1.

I was assuming the latter. I'm also assuming that MacOS X moves/has
moved to ISO 8859, which makes the MacRoman encoding even more an
anachronism ;-)

>   Win32		MacRoman	no idea		idem

Win32 external is a sort of funny mix of ISO 8859-1 and CP1252, which in
true embrace-and-extend-style is called 'ISO 8859-1' by Microsoft
(Google for 'demoronizer' for more info ;-)). For completeness, and
assuming you're going to have font table conversion code in the VM
anyway, the Win32 engine might probably do with a few tweaks (quoting
chars, mostly, and it's quite likely they got the Euro sign wrong w.r.t.
ISO 8859-9).

Err, dare I bring the issue of Unicode, UTF-8, ... to the table? What's
Squeak life looking like in Japan?