Computer Modern Fonts, Unicode, short term fix (was: Re: Adding Accufonts to the update stream)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 25 15:32:58 UTC 2003

Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:

> I think it's a lot of work to make CM acceptable on the low resolution
> we are going to use it. Manual labour. And then, you're from one
> mainstream fontset into the other one.=20
>
> No, really, I think Helvetica/Times/Courier is the way to go.
FYI, Andrew Greenberg once did a file-in for Computer Modern Fonts.

See http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2135  Bitmap fonts

Actually I see that we should generally move to a Unicode solution in
the future
as indicate by Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org today in the  'm17n Squeak'.

The short term fix for the license just should make it possible for
Squeak to get into the major Linux distributions. That counts. The other
issues can be sorted out later.

Hannes