m17n Squeak

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Feb 25 22:17:27 UTC 2003

Hey everybody. Yoshiki mentions he's going to be busy. We've been
through this scenario before - someone does some important work that
shows the way to get somewhere we want to be, then becomes busy
(discouraged, distracted, whatever), and since nobody knows how to move
it forward, it gets stuck, incomplete.

If you don't want to see this happen to Yoshiki's
Unicode/multinationalization work, read on.

Then either we don't get it (Interval web browser), or someone has to do
it over again, wasting time and effort redoing the others effort
(modules: Joseph -> Henrik -> ...).

We also have counter examples, though - the StarBrowser port to Squeak
wasn't very comfy, it wasn't something I'd use daily, when Roel
contributed the first version. Ned took it up, learned the design, added
his expertise, and now it's useful.

Let face it - we don't generally have patrons paying for us to Squeak.
This means that real life's demand will often interrupt a project you're
doing, even if lot's of people would really like to see it succeed.

Well, if someone wants us to make the most of Yoshiki's work, help him
out. It's important to get involved while he still has a little time to
pass on the knowledge. It would be especially great if someone can get
involved that knows at least something about, and is interested in the
technical side of multilanguage/Unicode support (the standards, the
terms, the algorithms). He's better qualified than I to say what's to be
done, but here are some things you can do that will help most projects:
* Read/play with all the papes/documentation/help/demos available by the
original contributor.
* Read definite documentation in the field/play with such ideas/tools
outside the Squeak world to get a better perspective on the project,
what it does do, what it decides not to do, and what is left to be done.
* Communicate what's known to the rest of the world - when the
contributor is running out of time, he doesn't have the time to describe
in details emails to the whole world what it does. People coming in to
help move things along should make sure they get technically
knowledgeable about a topic, and then reflect the status to the
community. Just one guy actively seeking knowledge and asking questions
is a much better use of the original contributors time, than us teeming
masses with varied levels of immidiate interest.
* Try to either understand or figure out with the community what's
missing to bring the work to the smallest useful deployment, and try to
get that working. From there, more people will be able to get into the
act.
* Work with the originator and the relevant people (stewards of relevant
 packages, VM maintainers, us Guides especially if it affects the core) to
identify what might stall the work, and find solutions.

In short, whenever someones pushing the edge and the work might be
interrupted, we need to have project-buddies that'll carry it the next
few miles. They'll have the support of the community, of course, but
someone has to focus on it.

If anyone cares about this work, knows or is willing to serious study
the topic, and can commit some time to it, pipe up now while Yoshiki
still has some time to pass it on.

Daniel