Adding Accufonts to the update stream (was Re: LicencesQuestion : Squeak-L Art 6.)

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Wed Feb 26 01:32:26 UTC 2003

Well, not to belabor the point too much I'll simply put it that I don't
like "curly" quotes and friends and find them to be of dubious value.
In my experience they produce an unending stream of headaches and
compatibility issues, your insistence that they "shouldn't"
notwithstanding.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/windows-chars.html explains things
better than I could.

Apart from which I can't be bothered to remember what 6 keys I have to
hold down together to make them.  So I'm happier with them out of my
life.  But that's my personal problem I guess.

I do agree that at least part of the problem is lack of encoding
identification.

> A move to Latin-1 is at least a move to the bottom chunk of Unicode.

Yes, this is a step in the right direction.

> My concern was simply to point out that something WILL be lost by the
> move, and that we don't actually need to lose quite that much.

But adopting the windows extensions just gets us a new proprietary
encoding,
not closer to unicode.  I'd rather stay with what we have then.

> It is difficult to support UTF-8 _anywhere_ correctly without
> supporting
> 21-bit characters practically _everywhere_ except for display.

Could you explain this?  UTF-8 is just variable byte length encoding
and you only use it for streaming.  It generally decodes into 8 or 16
bit characters.