[Squeakfoundation]re: release prioritization (was "ClassBuilder problem")

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Fri Feb 28 10:22:04 UTC 2003

Roel Wuyts <roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Somebody needs to decide what is a release and what's get in there, and
> it was decided that these were the Guides. I trust them to do an
> excellent job at this, that is why they are responsible. I can imagine
> that there is some 'bigger plan' for which they want to have this
> release. The question for me is: 'what is this bigger plan'. If it is
> only that it was promised to have a new release by a certain time, then
> I agree with you that we can wait. But I guess the plan for 3.4 was to
> have SM up and running, and that is also important to get out so that
> everybody can enjoy it.

Yes, adding SM and not breaking existing things.

>From http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/79
<citation>
 3.4 -- The main purpose of this release is to create an up to date,
viable version, that's a good starting point to making Squeak more
modular and it's development more decentralized.

Changes:
- Includes non-modules related updates from 3.3a, including the dynamic
filelist services refactoring.
- An option to load the SqueakMap package catalog and the base Package
Loader from the net.
- A dynamic open menu so packages can now register there and become
first class applications.
- Refactorings making various parts of the image easily removable. See
Modularizing the Squeak image for the plan and status.
- Various other fixes have been included.

Release is tentatively set to end of 2002.
</citation>

Regarding "Refactoring making various packages easily removable":

There is just Balloon3DRemoval and GamesRemoval. I do not consider this
goal is met.

And breaking an important thing and not including the fix is surely not
good stewardship as well.

Again: Where does this time pressure at the expense of quality come
from?

Cheers
Hannes