Possible goals for future releases (was: Re: Let's Release 3.4)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Fri Feb 28 23:24:38 UTC 2003

"Brent Vukmer" <bvukmer at blackboard.com> wrote:
> Newbies need SqueakMap!  Let's get the SqueakMap love out there.
>
> We can do all of the following things starting next week:
> --start collecting a queue of 3.5a fixes
> --test the ClassBuilder stuff
> --start documenting what was and was not accomplished in 3.4 release
> --set goals for the 3.5 release

Goals?
Why not start discussing them now?

A starter for the discussion -
----
Release 3.5
- Include the ClassBuilder stuff
- Include what MCP accomplished
- Refactorings making various parts of the image easily removable.
 (was  in 3.4 - http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/79)
- Have it tested with 1000 unit tests before releasing 3.5 final.

Release date for 3.5 beta  - End of March
Release date for 3.5 gamma - End of April
Release date for 3.5 final - End of May

Motto - a fresh Squeak!
or - a tested and polished Squeak!

----
Release 3.6  (final for end of August)
Include basic Zurgle refactorings ?
Include Anthony Hannans work ?
Have a clean up of MetaClass and Co by Berne ?

Motto - <no idea yet>

----
Release 3.7 (final scheduled for end of November)

Have documentation updated and
integrated in various ways with the image.

Core is "only" 1000 classes.

"Virtual Releases" -
Anglo-Saxon edition (the current stream)
International edition (Nihongo and others, UCS/Unicode integrated into
the VM)
Berne edition (Language experiments - alternate syntaxes)

> Let's roll let's roll let's roll!

Yessss ....

Cheers

Hannes