testing for image restart

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Jan 4 00:41:02 UTC 2003

On Friday 03 January 2003 04:29 pm, Andreas Raab wrote:
> I don't think this is what Derek meant.

You're right. I missed the whole question.

> I would presume that he's
> rather interested in finding out if the image crashed the last time
> it was run. I've actually been interested myself in this but as of
> now there's no way to distinguish between a "quit" and a crash. It
> is also hard to figure out (for example) if you crashed after a
> "save".

I think it would be hard to tell whether *significant* changes had
happened since the last save. Though you could certainly watch for
unsaved source code changes or doits after a change. But what about
direct manipulation of Morphs?

> The reason why I wanted this was actually to have a trivial little
> watcher that should come up and tell newbies "by the way you
> crashed but here are changes you did" and throw them right into a
> change list - I've found that many newbies are very concerned about
> "loosing their stuff" since Squeak doesn't present that standard
> "file based feel" and there is nothing obvious that tells them that
> you can recover everything from the changes with the right tool
> (and what and where this tool is).

That would be easy enough to do at startup time if all you were
concerned about was source code changes.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com