[Q] How suitable is Squeak for Database work

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Jan 4 02:32:16 UTC 2003

On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 05:58  PM, Cees de Groot wrote:

> Nevin Pratt <nevin at smalltalkpro.com> said:
>> But apparantly I've either misunderstood, or else been misinformed, or
>> else things have simply changed since then.
>>
> Probably all three. The story is, anyway, that if you create a
> database to use
> a certain table storage type (not the default), then MySQL supports
> transactions.

I'll point out it's very easy to built a plugin using oracle's call
interface.
I also suspect you could just use the FFI interface too, the OCI is
quite simple to work with and
would give you more control if you want to only interface to oracle and
support things like async
database calls.

See Visualworks oracle database interface as an example.
===