testing for image restart

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jan 4 14:40:41 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:29:14AM +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:
> I don't think this is what Derek meant. I would presume that he's rather
> interested in finding out if the image crashed the last time it was run.
> I've actually been interested myself in this but as of now there's no
> way to distinguish between a "quit" and a crash. It is also hard to
> figure out (for example) if you crashed after a "save".
>
> The reason why I wanted this was actually to have a trivial little
> watcher that should come up and tell newbies "by the way you crashed but
> here are changes you did" and throw them right into a change list - I've
> found that many newbies are very concerned about "loosing their stuff"
> since Squeak doesn't present that standard "file based feel" and there
> is nothing obvious that tells them that you can recover everything from
> the changes with the right tool (and what and where this tool is).

A good way to do this is with a "session identifier". If you happen to
have OSProcess loaded, see "OSProcess accessor getSessionIdentifier". For
a more general solution, see <http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/1942.html>.
This is out of date by now, but I'll be happy to bring it up to date if
there is interest.

Dave