Why do classes become obsolete?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Jan 6 19:56:08 UTC 2003

Are you using 3.4beta?! There have been various problems in the past
with the way class reshaping works and I rewrote most of it after
realizing how stupidly[*] all of this was put together. There is a good
chance that (if you're on some older version of Squeak) you may be
affected by this.

[*] I wrote most of it in the first place (-:

Generally, obsolete classes should (and as of 3.4b WILL) be introduced
only when you remove a class. In this case, the system will remember it
weakly so that when the last remaining references is gone (be that from
instances or any objects keeping a reference to the class) the class
will be GCed.

Cheers,
  - Andreas