SM feature request :)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Jan 7 07:20:58 UTC 2003

Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently reinstalled Debian to my home system. Downloaded and
> reinstalled Squeak 3.2-6VM and 3.4beta image.
>
> Updated the system and am playing with SM.
>
> While looking at the packages one thing that seemed missing to me was
> timestamps or date info. At least in the SM Package Loader and in the
> SqueakMap Browser UIs, there is any information on when the package was
> created or uploaded to SM.
>
> It would be nice, IMO, if there were a timestamp/date field to the
> version in the view and possibly a timestamp/date history field to allow
> an understanding of package activity. Also possibly an activity field
> which is editable by author, etc. with entries like, very-active,
> active, inactive...

Currently there is "created" and "modified" timestamps in the model. But
they aren't shown in the UIs. You can easily fix this by editing
SMCard>>fullDescription.

In SM1.1 we will have releases and they will also have created/updated
fields (as they too are SMObjects) so then we will have even better
indication of activity.

I don't think I want to add an extra field that the author should edit -
simply because it will probably just "lie". Heuristics are better I
think. Freshmeat has a lot of this stuff btw, good place for
inspiration. Also note that I don't think this functionality belongs in
"core" SM - it is typically a layer that can be added on top if enough
"base data" is available in the model.

> Seems like it would help people in choosing packages. Would help decide
> between similar packages. One looks featured and promising, but no
> activity in some time, the other is very active and adding like features
> but hasn't arrived.
>
> As SM gets more populated it seems like this would be a nice feature.
>
> Not trying to add to Göran's (et al) "got more than I can handle"
> feature list. But just wanted to toss this one into the hat. :)

Got it. :-)

> Yes, I know CSes accepted. :)
> Wish I were able, hopefully someday.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jimmie Houchin
>

> PS
> Thanks to everyone who contributes to Squeak.
> To me it is such a bright spot, a ray of sunshine in computing and keeps
> me excited. :)

Agree fully.

regards, Göran