Has anyone succesfully installed squeak on RH 8.0?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Jan 10 17:18:53 UTC 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 Jim.Gettys at hp.com wrote:

> > Another interesting name on the list. Your _X_Window_System_ (Scheifler &
> > Gettys) is on the bookshelf near at hand.
> >

> Thanks.  I'm here having been impressed by a talk Alan Kay gave us here
> recently on Squeak, and having a bright almost 8 year old, to see if it
> is something she might enjoy.

My 8 year old does, although not too often and not for too long - it's
"hard fun" as Alan likes to put it ;-)

> I do note that (in 3.2) the X port needs work to take advantage
> of new X technologies (e.g. Xft2, fontconfig); Squeak 3.2 is ugly
> relative to up to date X applications (that do high quality fonts and
> AA imaging for flat panels).

Squeak is intentionally agnostic of specific windowing system features. It
basically just needs a fast path for pushing pixels to the screen and some
way of getting input. Everything else we do ourselves, which serves the
goal of running bit-identical across platforms well.

On the other hand, we can't completely ignore the user ;-)

So there is indeed a PlatformFonts plugin which noone has ported to X yet
(http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm/package/802d4df0-71b5-43c0-9ee6-26fdd9bb828e),
and a TrueTypeTextStyle that is anti-aliased
(http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm/package/ab8088ce-4b01-4a15-bbff-82241d16205e).
For another implementation of anti-aliased font support look here:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1225

-- Bert