Has anyone succesfully installed squeak on RH 8.0?

Jim.Gettys at hp.com Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Sat Jan 11 03:01:24 UTC 2003

> ... because it's based on Freetype 2, so Jim is a little bit preaching to
> the choir here ;-)

Yes, and no.  There is a step beyond Freetype 2 used in Xft2, to keep the rendering more likely on pixel boundaries, that sharpens things up further.

Run a magnifier on one of the (somewhat old) screen shots you'll find on
zap.crl.dec.com on mozilla, and look carefully at what it does on the screen....
You can compare with bitmap fonts elsewhere on the screen, and AA fonts
without this effect on the nautlius (file browser) window)
Sometime I should put up some new screenshots, now that
Gnome 2 is out and almost all apps I use are nicely done.
To see fhe full effect, you need a flat-panel.

Then compare that with what you see on the magnified stuff in your link.

                          - Jim