SharedSmalltalk (was: A Question about Croquet's Philosophy...)

Robert Withers rwithers12 at attbi.com
Sat Jan 11 20:32:40 UTC 2003

This is an interesting paper, Anthony.  If you haven't seen it already,
you would like Lex Spoon's Islands
(http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2074).

Also, I have published a port of E's eventualReference framework at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2410.  I have unpublished code (to
be released soon), which builds a secure 168-bit peer2peer connection,
called VatTP.   The last step, over the next month or so will connect
the EventualReference framework and VatTP, with what is known as CapTP,
or Capability Transmission Protocol (or something  :)).

squeak-e's eventualReference framework could allow filters and services
to be attached to object references.  This would allow extensions to
support persistence, transactions, QoS, and teaTime.

CapTP will have a carAndTrain distributed GC algorithm and provide
support for eventual message sending.

in VatTP, the encryption and marshalling are pluggable.  The connection
protocol negotiates with authentication, authorization, diffie-hellman
key exchange, and protocol negotiation (compression, encryption,
marshalling.  Connections can be suspended and reconnect.

I hope that you will consider supporting this nascient framework, a 2
year effort of mine, to focus our efforts on a single capabilities
model.  It feels like it is sufficient to support many of the features
in this area of CS.

cheers,
rob