class instance variable question

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jan 12 03:55:31 UTC 2003

Derek,

> I need every subclass of a given class 'MyClass' to manage its own
> version of a class variable called 'SpecialVar'.
>
> Would that be a job for a class instance variable?

Yes.

> If so, why does the browser give a terrible warning when I
> try to add a class instance variable to MyClass?

Because of a bug in a feature that tries to warn you if you define a new
class with the name of an existing one (e.g., inadvertently trying to
define your own class "Button" or somesuch). There seems to be a bug in
the form that the identification of whether you "define a new class"
(bad) or "redefine the existing class" (okay) fails for the case of meta
classes.

Cheers,
  - Andreas