class instance variable question

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Sun Jan 12 04:36:03 UTC 2003

Nevin Pratt wrote:

> To reiterate (in case you missed it):
>
> When you are only adding a class instance variable, and it comes up
> with that warning dialog, you can ignore the warning.
>
> Nevin

Incidentally, the first time I saw the warning dialog, it concerned me.
 So, I traced it out until I determined that the warning was something I
could ignore.  I didn't realize it was a "bug", but instead considered
it a "feature".  I felt that Squeak was simply being unnecessarily
presumptuous.

Another example (at least in my opinion) of Squeak being "unnecessarily
presumptuous" is when you override the class #new method, it also warns
you in a similar manner, warning you of potential dire consequences of
overriding #new.  There are many common patterns where overriding #new
is the norm, so who was it that decided there should be a warning?  I
don't know.

Therefore, since I had seen these "presumptuous" warnings before, seeing
this one about the class instance variables really didn't surprise me.
 But I still wanted to trace it through to be sure.  Once I felt sure, I
just ignore the warning from habit now.

Nevin