Safari & squeakland plugin on os-x?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Jan 14 20:34:12 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 01:17  AM, tblanchard at mac.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 08:41  AM, Michael Rueger wrote:
>
>> John M McIntosh wrote:
>>> Anyone have any interest in wanting the squeakland plugin to work
>>> under  safari?
>> I think we should wait until it all stabilizes a little more.
>
> I agree - its a beta after all.  Perhaps the release version will
> "just work".
> I would submit a bug with all you know about the issue though.
>
> -Todd Blanchard

There is one bug, which we can work around, or could be fixed in khtml.
That prevents anyone from actually running the plugin, that I've fixed.
However that one is a minor issue.

The real issue is that the internal architecture for the allowing the
VM to run in parallel with
the browser was built for OS-9, that is not workable for a pthreaded
unix type of browser that Safari is.

I'll note that the regular os-x mac VM is a pthreaded unix application
build using Apple's Project builder which is
really just a front for GNU tools. However the netscape browser plugin
is built assuming you are using
a carbon based CFM application by Code Warrior which precludes the
ability to easily support pthreads.

What is really required is to either look at the KDE plugin
architecture, or build/find a CFM to Mach-o interface
module to support call in and backs to a mach-o shared library to
support pthreads and more importantly
a better debugging tool than doing printfs to the console.

===