[StarBrowser] why a singleton?

Roel Wuyts roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jan 16 08:38:41 UTC 2003

The intention of having a singleton was to have a consistent view in
all the StarBrowsers. That way you can safely close one, and still have
your workspace.
But, like Ned said, I didn't block the creation of new instances (so
it's not a real singleton, actually, but there is a shared variable).

On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, at 10:55 PM, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 01:49 pm, Brent Vukmer wrote:
>> When I add or remove an item to one StarBrowser, the change is
>> reflected in all the StarBrowser morphs that I have open. I was
>> curious as to why that was so.  I understood StarBrowser to be a
>> way of organizing one's Squeak environment, especially browsing...
>> So shouldn't a StarBrowser inside Project 1  be a different view
>> than a StarBrowser inside Project 1?
>
> You can open a StarBrowser on a different root classification if you
> wish. It's just that the default menu choice to open a StarBrowser
> uses a singleton.
>
> If you want to have a root per project, that's easy to do.
>
> As far as setting it up by default to act that way, I'll have to think
> about it.
>
> --
> Ned Konz
> http://bike-nomad.com
> GPG key ID: BEEA7EFE

Roel Wuyts                                                   Software
Composition Group
roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch                       University of Bern,
Switzerland
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/