A squeak3.4 VM will be needed

Bruce ONeel edoneel at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Jan 17 15:38:50 UTC 2003

Hi Stephane and others,

Part of the reason why I build the released packages
and then promote them on the webpage is so that folks
can download them and get a reasonable but small
set with what they need for Squeak.  For 3.2 there
should be released packages for most common systems
which contain what you need to get started, ie, vm,
common plugins, V3sources, and an image/changes combo.

I don't do this for non final release, ie, 3.3, and 3.4 up
to now, since I feel that:

- 3.2 is good enough for most users
- while squeak is very stable and  alpha releases
tend to be better than other production versions
of some other software, beginners should start
with the released software.

I could construct a readme which contains the
released date of different files in the package that
are known to work together.

Is there something else that could be done here
short of re-versioning VMs to match image versions?
Or would some readme saying that

- MacVMs from version X to Y are known to work but
newer ones like work.
- UnixVMs from usw.

be better?

Thanks!