[e-lang] [RFP] cross-language object serialization (E <---> Squeak-E)

Robert Withers rwithers12 at attbi.com
Tue Jan 21 14:40:10 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 08:45 AM, Tyler Close wrote:

> On Monday 20 January 2003 22:33, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>> But in any case, based on the current state of the discussion, I
>> think the
>> last non-WOS contender has been eliminated. Until and unless a
>> surprising
>> problem shows up, I'm willing to declare that the next CapTP will use
>> WOS
>> as its serialization format, in both its doc-code-binary and its
>> XML-textual forms. Given this, I think that CapTP, like WOMP, should
>> use
>> Doc to define its message layer as well. A CapTP connection should
>> start in
>> Doc-XML-text mode, and we need to define some textual negotiation for
>> switching to doc-code binary format.
>
> Yay!

:)    Tyler, I knew you were going to like this one!

Could you post an example Doc tree and a XML-text mode encoding and
doc-code encoding of the following 3 scenarios, please?  It would be
useful to see what we will be dealing with.

1)  an association with key:  'the answer is' and value: 42
2) an instance of class Foobar (inst vars: question, answer) with
question := 'the answer is' and value := 42.
3) a OrderedCollection of instances of Foobar

thanks!

rob