[Enh] [Star Browser] [Jacaranda] [Connectors] PreliminaryJacaranda/Connectors in Star Browser support

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Jan 21 17:57:35 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 07:03 am, you wrote:
> In the short term maybe this does need to be in a seperate package.
> However that's going to cause an explosion of packages I think,
> packages that handle the intersections between existing packages.
>  In the long term however I think we need to come up with a
> mechanism that can allow these intersections to be packaged into
> one or the other package but dynamically be applied depending on
> whether or not the other package is installed.  In other words, on
> installing the package that includes the intersection the installer
> checks to see if the package that the intersection applies to is
> already installed.  If it is then the intersection is installed.
>  If it is not, the intersection package is somehow added as a
> "dormant" payload to the installation system which is directed to
> install it if the other package is installed.  Similarly the
> intersection package needs to be cleanly removed if the other
> package is later removed and registered again with the installation
> system.

If you look at how I packaged the Star Browser, you'll see that every
package-dependent extension is in its own package. So there are no
modifications to the base StarBrowser package for each of the
add-ons.

The installer looks to see if the appropriate dependent is installed
before installing the add-ons.

This is the way that Jacaranda's install should work.

I don't think that keeping uninstalled packages "dormant" would help
much, since you can just do a re-install of SB and not lose anything
(at least, this is the way it should be set up). Then you get the new
functionality.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com