[Enh] [Star Browser] [Jacaranda] [Connectors] PreliminaryJacaranda/Connectors in Star Browser support

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Jan 21 21:28:53 UTC 2003

Hi Ken.

(for some reason, I'm getting all your mails twice. Could you please
look into that?)

Your question is really not about SB specifically, it's about how
packages with multiple dependencies are managed. And I'll split it in
two -
* How should we package such code?
* How do we make the system smart enough to handle these dependencies
correctly?

First, as you're quite aware, nothing is yet complete that provides a
complete solution to this problem. Second, if you want a pointer to one
of Goran's inspirations when thinking of these issues (and mine too),
see www.debian.org. This is a linux distribution that's actually a
distributed project, handling >8000 packages on 11 architectures, that's
solved such problems as depedencies, libraries, multiple versions,
replacement of kernels.... it's a different situation, but we've
certainly alot to learn from it.

Now to your questions. Goran will probably answer soon, explaining about
SM1.1, which should add package versions. These and some other
enhancements should allow us to implement various tools on top of the SM
catalog, including tools that deal with dependencies. Some ideas about
how these should work have already been proposed, and I'm sure we'll see
some nice solutions come up after 1.1 is out.

Also as Ned said, the image is not a perfect unit of persistency. SM
allows you to install a list a of packages quite easily, so that
recreating your desired image with different installed packages is
something that can be automated into convinience..

Removing packages is not easy, but I think it's not impossible either.
It will require more thought than we've given so far to maintaining the
dependency constraints, though...

Daniel