whoops, now the dogs are out :)

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Fri Jan 24 15:41:18 UTC 2003

Indeed, dual licensing can be complicated and unnecessary -- but it is
a useful technique to resolve political situations.  It is how the
Perl/FSF dispute was resolved, and it is a useful resolution for
software that is already singly-licensed, such as was done with the
MPeg3 plugin.  In short, a straight public license is certainly
adequate, but a dual license may be necessary in some circumstances.

Dual-licensing is not an option for derivative software made from
Squeak, which code is subject to Squeak-L in most cases, but only for
entirely original code.

For original code, suggest using Squeak-L, or freer (as in BPL/MIT, not
GPL).  Anything else is a recipe for failure, and risks a great project
rotting on the vine for license conflicts later on.