[vm][q] what's needed to support multiple, disjoint ObjectMemories?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jan 26 00:56:42 UTC 2003

Hi Rob,

I think it would be helpful if you could say something about the thought
process that brought you to the point where you believe that "multiple
object memories in one Squeak process" are really a good (or even the best)
way to solve this problem. Personally, I am not convinced but I'd like to
hear your arguments. It seems to me that using "multiple Squeak VMs" (e.g.,
multiple object memories in multiple Squeak processes) are very much
equivalent to what you are looking at and by far simpler to do since you
have "only" to concentrate on the inter-process communication (and not to
deal with GC, allocation etc). In fact, I would claim that something pretty
good can be mocked up using sockets for communication which then might be
optimized using shared memory.

Cheers,
 - Andreas