Proposal: Squeak-E = Squeak x Kernel-E

Mark S. Miller markm at caplet.com
Sun Jan 26 20:21:58 UTC 2003

At 10:33 AM 1/26/2003 Sunday, Lex Spoon wrote:
>        - dynamically-scoped variables, so that the "global" variables aren't
>          shared

It's the area I'd worry about first. A capability language probably
shouldn't have anything one would think to call "global" variables, even
with the scare quotes. I don't know what you mean by "dynamically-scoped
variables", but if it's anything like Lisp1.5's or Smalltalk-72's
dynamically-scoped variables, that'd be even worse.

Could you explain this one in some depth, at the lowest layer of abstraction
that would be accessible to non-TCB code, so we can properly think about the
limits of what such code might do? Thanks.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get back to all this till probably Tuesday.