[e-lang] [RFP] cross-language object serialization (E <---> Squeak-E)

Tyler Close tyler at waterken.com
Mon Jan 20 14:42:03 UTC 2003

On Monday 20 January 2003 02:14, Robert Withers wrote:
> I have a preternatural hope that some few may decide that this
> represents a very interesting possibility and pick up the challenge of
> some difficult work and post a CDR or Java or WOS encoder.  :)

I've just updated the Doc download. It now includes encoders and
decoders for both the XML and doc-code syntaxes. Before, it just
had the XML implementation. See:

http://waterken.com/download/Doc/

Getting from the Doc model to your local object representation
requires code specific to the VM. This is where you hook into your
capability implementation and your local type mappings.  For
example, E will map types to its own collection classes and setup
its liveRef proxies. Squeak-E will do something similar with your
code and Squeak collection classes.

You should be able to do a straight translation of my Java
implementation of Doc to Squeak. After that, you're into the
specifics of your VM. This is the same situation for CDR. It might
be interesting to compare the complexity of the doc-code
encoder/decoder to that of CDR.

Tyler